Saturday, 6 May 2017

Sweet Potato Fudge with Cacao Nibs (vegan)

Like the  vegan and vegetarian meatballs, I am having a thing about fudge at the moment.

In recent days, I have made beetroot fudge, chocolate fudge and now these vegan tiger orange coloured Sweet Potato Fudge Bites with Cacao Nibs.  


This recipe comes from Kari's blog Bite Sized Thoughts.  I have a number of recipes bookmarked from Kari, one of which is this Sweet Potato Fudge bookmarked since I saw it and one she showcased when she was doing a bit of fundraising.
I had good intentions of following her recipe for this Sweet Potato Fudge to the gram, but as the weight of my baked sweet potatoes were a little more, I decided to increase some of the ingredients a little. I also replaced the lacuma powder with maca powder as that is what I had in my cupboards.  I picked up the maca powder when it was on offer along with some cacao nibs a year or so ago and have been looking for ways to use both.  So even with my little tinkering, full credit for the recipe still goes to Kari.  
The Sweet Potato Fudge with Cacao Nibs was lovely and dense, sweet and 'fudgy' in texture.  I had so much of it that I took some into work and shared with some colleagues, who loved it.  Many commented that it reminded them of a pumpkin pie filling, I could see that.  They were all completely surprised that it was completely vegan. I was really impressed with one of my colleagues, who even picked out the coconut in it.  

Thank you so much for Kari for sharing the original recipe.
Vegan Sweet Potato Fudge with Cacao Nibs
Makes around 16 - 20 pieces of fudge 
Ingredients
400g sweet potatoes, baked in their skins
80g coconut oil
40g coconut sugar
30g maca powder
Optional: cacao nibs for variation
Method
When cool to handle, remove skins from the sweet potatoes and put into food blender, along with the remaining ingredients.
I followed Kari tip -  By adding the warm sweet potato to the food processor along with the coconut oil allows it to melt gently.
Then spoon the mixture into silicon baking pan or tin lined with nonstick paper.
Optional: Evenly scatter over the cacao nibs if using.
Allow to set in the fridge overnight.
Cut into squares the following day.
Keep refrigerated.
Good for 1 week.
Adapted from Bite Sized Thoughts Sweet Potato Fudge

12 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful...I hope you and D are keeping well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks e.
      Life is giving us some up and down moments...

      Delete
  2. I liked experimenting with my maca powder until the weevils took it so this sounds really good - your photos are lovely and it sounds quite healthy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johanna, can you please give me some recipes to try as I do need to find ways of using the maca powder I have. this is def a healthy fudge than traditional.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for your lovely acknowledgement Shaheen - and your variation looks fantastic. I will have to make it again using your addition of cacao nibs! I love your beautiful photos with the flowers too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Kari for sharing the recipe. The cacao nibs just gave it another dimension. The photos come thanks to my husband and the flowers from my garden. Thank you so much again.

      Delete
  4. I love how you call it tiger fudge - it totally looks like a tiger! Both your recipe and Kari's sound delicious. I now realize I need to stock up on both lacuma and maca powder. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary Ellen :)
      Hope you give this sweet potato fudge a try - the original or the variation.

      Delete
  5. Wow what a great idea. I'm not really a fan of traditional fudge but I love anything sweet potato.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should def. try these then.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You