Friday, 21 April 2017

Green Chili with Welsh Leeks and Edamame Beans

The Welsh leeks season is coming to an end and I thought I'd make the most of it in this big bowl of Green Chile.  
This was not your typical chili as the spice flavours were toned down by the sweetness from all the greens including the leeks. Also the green from the leeks were a bit muted, but were uplifted by the addition of soya and edamame beans and peas (from the freezer) and a final garnish of fresh chives from the garden plot. 
I thought the bowl of Green Chile was going to be mellow from the sweet leeks, so I decided to make a Pineapple and Jalapeno Salsa to go with it.  This uplifted the dish with another dimension of spice and warmth. I will share the recipe for the Pineapple Jalapeno Salsa in the next couple of days. 

I am sharing this Bowl of Green Chili with Eat Your Greens challenge hosted this month by The VegHog - You still have a day to share your #EatYourGreens recipe with the VegHog.  I am also sharing this recipe with My Legume Love Affair hosted by Fix Me A Little Lunch;and sadly for the final time with Healthy Vegan Fridays hosted by Rock My Vegan Socks and V Nutrition.



Green Chili with Peas and Beans  
Serves 6 as an accompaniment
Ingredients
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion, finely sliced

2 fat leeks, washed and sliced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon jalapeno powder or 2 fresh green chillies, sliced
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground coriander

2 tablespoons tomato puree

250g soya beans, peas and broad beans
200ml water or vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
In a saucepan, warm the oil on medium heat.  

Add the onion, leeks and garlic and saute until the onions become soft.  Add the garlic and fresh green chili if using, then cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
Stir in the Jalapeno powder if using and cumin, oregano, coriander and season with salt and pepper to taste and cook for a few minutes for it to coat the mixture.  

Then stir in the tomato puree, cook for 10 minutes to ensure the onion and leeks are very soft.
Stir occasionally to keep the spices from burning.  
Then add in the beans, peas and water or stock cook for 20 minutes.
Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.

Adapted from this recipe

14 comments:

  1. That looks so good...

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It made for a nice change from the spicier versions.

      Delete
  2. Looks yummy. You can't beat a good, beany chilli!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A toned down chilli is useful to have in one's repertoire. I like the mix of flavours here and the additional sweetness you'd get from the sweeter veggies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari. Yes I agree - but I do like my spices :)

      Delete
  4. That just looks gorgeous, and I'm sure that the leeks add something great to the dish. Thank you for sharing with Eat Your Greens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes the leeks along with the other green ingredients made for a nice dish.

      Delete
  5. I can't believe the leek season is almost up - I've been eating so many of late, and I'm still not bored of them! I like swapping them in for dishes where I'd normally have onions, for a bit of a sweeter taste. This looks so lovely and colourful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeph I know, Joey. I like to replace it with onions now and agin.

      Delete
  6. This looks so delicious and what a great way to use leeks! It's still a bit chilly here on and off and I'm always looking for a nice chili like this one for cooler days.

    Thanks so much for linking up with us for Healthy Vegan Fridays! I’m Pinning and sharing! I also wanted to tell you how happy I am to have found your blog through HVF. You always have delicious takes on recipes and are so creative. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mary Ellen for your lovely comment. I truly will miss HVF and am so pleased also to have found your blog too :) Pleased you like the Green Chile too.

      Delete
  7. This sounds utterly delicious! It seems just bursting with flavour from the spices. And I love that you used edamame in it. Oh and it's just so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kimmy. I don't use edamame a lot, is hard to find here - but I did find some - frozen, still better than none at all.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You