Tuesday, 21 March 2017

Smoky Black Kale, Chickpeas and Mushroom Stew

Its been a busy month for me with work mostly.  I have to admit I haven't had much energy or enthusiasm for cooking when I got home.  In fact, twice last  week we have had Chilli and Potato Pierogi, not homemade but from a  packet.  I have made pierogi in the past and would love to have a go at making them again.

Today though, I got home and had a little energy to cook.  I made a relatively quick Smoky Black Kale and Mushroom Stew.  Many of the ingredients in this were left over from the Black Kale and Chickpeas Pot Pie I made over the weekend. 
I think this Smoky Black Kale and Mushroom Stew is one of those dishes best enjoyed a day or two later, as it was just okay. 



Smoky Black Kale and Mushroom Stew
Serves 2 - 3
Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
200g mushrooms, sliced
2 clove garlic, crushed
Sprig of fresh thyme
1/4 teaspoon chipotle flakes
1 x 400g tinned tomatoes, crushed
100g black kale, removed from stalk and shredded
1 x 200g cooked chickpeas
Salt and pepper to taste 
Method
In a large pan, heat the oil and then stir in the onion and saute until soft, then stir in the garlic, followed by the thyme and chipotle flakes, cook for a few minutes before stirring in the chopped crushed tomatoes.
Cook for a few minutes before stirring in the shredded kale.
Reduce heat and cook for 15 minutes until the black kale begins to soften, then stir in the mushrooms and cook for a few minutes for the mushrooms to release their juices.
Stir in the chickpeas.
If the stew is too thick for you, add a little stock or water.
Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary. 
Serve with spelt, rice or barley.

10 comments:

  1. Funny that you described the stew as "just okay." It sounds so good! We love dinosaur kale, but my favorite is Red Russian kale. Do you have that one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your kind Andrea, but it was just okay. I have seen Red Russian Kale here, we call it purple kale http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/cant-give-you-purple-moon-but-heres.html

      I haven't seen it for a while, so hope to grow it this year, if i can find the seeds

      Delete
  2. Some days, opening a packet is just what you need to do! It's always handy to have a goodly number of stew recipes in your back pocket for when you want to cook but don't feel like being cordon bleu though, andI love black beans in any dish - I think they taste pretty magic with anything chipotle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Joey.
      Days when I don't want to be all cordon bleu either, some times I want to be all experimental. Yes, chipotle is a fantastic ingredient, I am so pleased we can get it readily now, I got my jar from M&S, but also get it from a spice place in Cardiff market called Clancys.

      Delete
  3. Oh you are combining some of my very favourite things in this dish! Mushrooms, kale & chickpeas all together. Yes, please!
    Life is about balance for sure, sometimes it's hard to find energy to cook - we order pizza on those nights ;)
    I like the idea of making this ahead of time as it will taste better the next day. I think it would actually be a perfect dish to make one day to have lunches for a few days after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased you like this Kimmy. I think i would have appreciated it a little more a day or two later.

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry to hear work has been so tiring. This looks like the sort of dish to refuel on Although I relate to flavours needing a few days to develop sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari, there's other stuff going on that I don't want to spoil my blog by talking about them (office politics). I am pleased you like this know and understand why I mentioning the flavours needing to develop.

      Delete
  5. I have all the ingredients for this, so will give it a go. Sometimes you don't want anything fancy and okay will do, although it sounds good xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you Fran. Do hope your well. I am pleased you like the sound of this and may give it a go, enjoy - be a bit cautious with the chipotle flakes, adds a nice smokiness, but the heat sneaks up on you too.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You